Baum, Howard R.
- Glenn L. Martin Professor, University of Maryland (2006 -)
- Research Physicist (1975-1983) and Fellow (1983-2006), National Institute of Standards and Technology (formerly National Bureau of Standards)
- Senior Scientist, Aerodyne Research Inc., Billerica, MA, (1971-1975)
- Lecturer (1964-1966) and Assistant Professor (1966-1971) Division of Engineering and Applied Physics, Harvard University
- B. Aeronautical Engineering, Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn 1957
- M.S. Applied Mechanics, Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn 1959
- Ph.D. Applied Mathematics, (Div. Engineering and Applied physics) Harvard University 1964
Honors and Awards
- U.S. Dept. Commerce Silver Medal Award (1981) and Gold Medal Award (1985) for fire modeling and research.
- Russell Severance Springer Visiting Professor, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, U.C. Berkeley (1985).
- Invited Lecturer, Second IAFSS Symposium, Tokyo (June, 1988).
- Medal of Excellence, IAFSS, for urban fire model (1991).
- U.S. Delegate, Japan - U.S. heat Transfer Joint Seminar (1991).
- Japan Society for Promotion of Science Fellow, Tokyo University, Institute of Industrial Science, Murakami and Kato Laboratory (1994).
- Invited Lecturer, Sixth International Conference on Numerical Combustion, New Orleans (1996).
- Arthur B. Guise Medal, Society of Fire Protection Engineers, for fire simulation research (1999).
- Phillip Thomas Medal of Excellence, IAFSS, for corridor smoke modeling, (1999).
- Fellow and Charted Physicist, Institute of Physics, (1999).
- Long Term Visitor, Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (IMA), Univ. of Minnesota, Program on Reactive Flow and Transport Phenomena (1999).
- National Academy of Engineering (2000).
- Invited Lecturer, Third International Seminar on Fire and Explosion Hazards, Lake Windermere, U.K., (April, 2000).
- Invited Lecturer, Third International Symposium on Scale Modeling, Nagoya, Japan, (Sept. 2000).
- Arthur Newell Talbot Lecture, Dept. of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Univ. of Illinois, (Mar. 2002).
- Invited Lecture, Second NRIFD Symposium - Science, Technology, and Standards for Fire Suppression Systems, Mitaka, Tokyo, Japan, (July 2002).
- Howard W. Emmons Invited Plenary Lecture, Eighth IAFSS Symposium, Beijing, (Sept. 2005).
- Invited Plenary Lecture, APS Division of Fluid Mechanics Annual Meeting, Chicago, (Nov. 2005).
- U.S. Dept. Commerce Group Gold Medal Award for contributions to World Trade Center Investigation (2005).
- Distinguished Paper Award in Fire Research Colloquium, Thirty-First International Symposium on Combustion (2007).
- NIST Gallery of Distinguished Alumni (2007).
- NRC Naval Studies Board Panel "ONR Research Activities in Sold and Fluid Mechanics" (1986, 1991).
- NRC Panel "Status of Nuclear Winter Research" (1987).
- NRC Committee on Microgravity Research (2001 - 2004).
- Member Editorial Board, Combustion Theory and Modeling (1997 - 2006).
- Member Editorial Board, Combustion and Flame (2001 - 2006).
- Member U.S. Panel, U.S. - Japan Natural Resources (UJNR) Panel on Fire Research and Safety (1996, 1998, 2000), Associate Member (1988, 1992).
- Board of Visitors, Dept. Fire Protection Engineering, Univ. of Maryland (2004 - 2006).
- Hurricane Intensity Research Working Group, National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Agency (NOAA), (2005-2006).